Hair Tissue Mineral Testing
What is hair tissue mineral analysis (HTMA)?
Hair tissue mineral analysis is an analytical test that measures nutrient and toxic mineral content of hair. As the constituents of the hair are determined by the entry of substances from external sources and from substances that enter it from the blood stream, hair makes an ideal medium for analysis. Levels of particular toxic and nutrient minerals can be used to diagnose behavioural disorders.
- Hair is used as one of the tissues of choice by the United States Environmental Protection agency in determining toxic metal exposure with the following summary:
- “The milk, urine, saliva and sweat measure the component that is absorbed but excreted.
- The blood measures the component absorbed and temporarily in circulation before excretion and/or storage.
- The hair, nails and teeth are tissues in which trace minerals are sequestered and/or stored.”
- Since the structure of hair remains unchanged, the minerals are fixed in the hair and levels in hair do not significantly change once that portion of hair has grown. The analysis accurately provides concentrations of minerals that have accumulated in the hair tissue over the hair growth period, approximately one to three months. Human head hair is a recording filament that can reflect metabolic changes.
- Tissue mineral analysis is unique in that it inexpensively provides information directly about cellular activity, which is the main site of nutritional metabolism. As important as vitamins are, they can do nothing for the body without proper mineral intake. Vitamins cannot function and are unable to be assimilated without the aid of minerals.
Hair Analysis - What we test for
- Using state-of-the art equipment (ICP MS), we analyse the hair sample for a broad range of 39 essential, non-essential as well as toxic elements. The result provides the reader with a comprehensive overview of the nutrient and toxic mineral content of the patient's hair, together with significant ratios.
15 Essential Elements:
12 Non-essential Elements:
Hair Analysis - How it works
Order your free, no-obligation hair analysis test kit via our order form, phone (07) 55221919 or fax (07) 55221929.
- The test kit describes the simple process of taking your hair sample and includes a hair sample bag.
- Take a sample of hair from the nape of the neck (about a Tablespoonful) and place in a clean, dry snap-lock bag or the envelope provided.
Send the filled in order form together with your hair sample and payment or payment details to the following address:
- S.A.F.E. Analytical Laboratories Pty Ltd
- PO Box 2060
- Burleigh B.C.
- Queensland 4220
Within 7-10 working days a 12 page report is then forwarded to you or your nominated practitioner in an easy to read graph style format showing various levels of nutrient or toxin imbalance in parts per million (ppm). This will show how your value relates to the normal or ideal reference range.
- N.B. A personalised interpretation is available from an experienced qualified naturopath upon application if required.
- (A nominal charge applies.)
SAFE Analytical Laboratories|
Unit 7 & 8 / 4 Fremantle Street Burleigh Junction 4220 Gold Coast Queensland Australia
P +61 (07) 55221919
F +61 (07) 55221929